The list of notable authors, writers, publishers, and contributors to the written word who passed last year is far longer than anything we could include in one blog post, but let’s take a moment to recognize 12 authors who died in 2017. Please, populate the comments with tributes to those who meant the most to you.

authors who died in 2017 Michael BondMichael Bond, 91
authors who died in 2017 PaddingtonBorn: January 13, 1926, Newbury, UK
Died: June 27, 2017, London, UK

“If you really want something in this world, you’ll never get it by sitting down and waiting. But if you go out and do things there’s no knowing where you’ll end up.” —The Tales of Olga Da Polga

The creator of the Paddington Bear series of books, which were published from 1958-2018 (a new title is due on May 31st of the year), Thomas Michael Bond also created the Olga da Polga (guinea pig) and Monsieur Pamplemousse book series. Bond’s Reflection on the Passing of the Years, written after his 90th birthday, was read in 2016 at a service commemorating Queen Elizabeth II’s 90th birthday.

Image via Shutterstock (editorial use).

authors who died in 2017 Richard AdamsRichard Adams, 96
authors who died in 2017 Watership DownBorn: May 9, 1920 in Wash Common, Newbury, Berkshire, England
Died: December 24, 2016 in Oxford, England

“The thinker dies, but his thoughts are beyond the reach of destruction. Men are mortal; but ideas are immortal.”

Richard Adams‘ first and most enduring work is Watership Down, published in 1972, which earned him a Carnegie Medal in 1972 and a Guardian Children’s Fiction Prize in 1973. Other novels by Adams include Shardik, The Plague Dogs, The Girl in a Swing, Maia, and Traveller.

Image by AndrewRH (Own work) [CC BY-SA 3.0 or GFDL], via Wikimedia Commons

authors who died in 2017 Kate MilletKate Millet, 82
authors who died in 2017 Sexual PoliticsBorn: September 14, 1934, Saint Paul, MN
Died: September 6, 2017, Paris, France

“A sexual revolution begins with the emancipation of women, who are the chief victims of patriarchy, and also with the ending of homosexual oppression.”

A social activist, educator, and feminist author, Kate Millet is best known for her PhD dissertation-turned radical feminist text, Sexual Politics, published in 1970. Millet was also an artist and filmmaker, who authored 10 books between 1970 and 2001. She was inducted into the National Women’s Hall of Fame in 2013.

Image by Linda Wolf (Contact us/Photo submission) [CC BY-SA 3.0], via Wikimedia Commons

authors who died in 2017 Robert M PirsigRobert M. Pirsig, 88
authors who died in 2017 Zen and the Art of Motorcycle MaintenanceBorn: September 6, 1928 in Minneapolis, MN
Died: April 24, 2017 in South Berwick, ME

“The place to improve the world is first in one’s own heart and head and hands, and then work outward from there.”

A precocious student, Robert Pirsig suffered a nervous breakdown a decade before the 1974 publication of his literary touchstone, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values. Upon its publication, he was awarded a Guggenheim Fellowship, which propelled him to write Lila: An Inquiry into Morals, which was published nearly two decades later.

Image by Ian Glendinning, [GFDL, CC-BY-SA-3.0, CC BY 2.5, CC BY 2.0 or CC BY 1.0], via Wikimedia Commons

authors who died in 2017 William Peter BlattyWilliam Peter Blatty, 89
authors who died in 2017 The ExorcistBorn: January 7, 1928 in New York City, NY
Died: January 12, 2017 in Bethesda, MD

“Would you like to hear a nice definition of jealousy? It’s the feeling that you get when someone you absolutely detest is having a wonderful time without you.”

A writer and filmmaker, William Peter Blatty is famous for writing the book and screenplay for The Exorcist, published in 1971. He also wrote Legion, a follow-up to The Exorcist, and The Ninth Configuration (also known as Twinkle, Twinkle, “Killer” Kane). Legion was adapted to film as the Exorcist III, which Blatty directed.

Image by jtblatty (Own work) [CC BY 4.0], via Wikimedia Commons

authors who died in 2017 John AshberyJohn Ashbery, 90
authors who died in 2017 some treesBorn: July 28, 1927, Rochester, NY
Died: September 3, 2017, Hudson, NY

“I write with experiences in mind, but I don’t write about them, I write out of them.”

A surrealist poet who often stretched the bounds of the movement, John Ashbery was a prominent, controversial, and influential figure throughout his life. He earned 20 (or so) notable awards and fellowships, including a Pulitzer Prize in Poetry in 1976 for Self-Portrait in a Convex Mirror. He published over 30 collections of poems between 1953-2016, including Some Trees, in 1956.

Image by David Shankbone [CC BY 2.0], via Wikimedia Commons

authors who died in 2017 Judith JonesJudith Jones, 93
authors who died in 2017 The Tenth MuseBorn: March 10, 1924, Vermont
Died: August 2, 2017, Walden, VT

“Cooking demands attention, patience, and, above all, a respect for the gifts of the earth. It is a form of worship, a way of giving thanks.”

While an author herself, Judith Jones is perhaps most widely recognized for pulling two pivotal (and wildly disparate) books from slush piles of previously rejected works: The Diary of Anne Frank and Julia Child’s Mastering the Art of French Cooking. Jones’ later work was focused mostly on editing and writing cookbooks.

Image sourced from the cover of The Tenth Muse.

authors who died in 2017 Janusz GlowackiJanusz Glowacki, 78
authors who died in 2017 CindersBorn: September 13, 1938, Poznań, Poland
Died: August 19, 2017, while vacationing in Egypt

A playwright and screenwriter, Polish-born Janusz Glowacki (pronounced YAH-noosh gwo-VATZ-key) turned a trip to London in 1981 into an eight-year exile, which found him relocating to New York City, where he maintained a residence until his death. His list of accolades and awards is lengthy, with Cinders, Hunting Cockroaches, The Fourth Sister, and Antigone in New York considered his most prominent works.

Image by Kontrola (Own work) [CC BY-SA 4.0], via Wikimedia Commons

authors who died in 2017 Brian AldissBrian Aldiss, 92
authors who died in 2017 Supertoys Last All Summer LongBorn: August 18, 1925, Dereham, UK
Died: August 19, 2017, Oxford, UK

“It is comparatively easy to become a writer; staying a writer, resisting formulaic work, generating one’s own creativity – that’s a much tougher matter.”

Recognized mostly for his science-fiction writing, Brian Aldiss authored more than 80 books, 300 short stories, and many volumes of poetry in addition to being recognized as an accomplished visual artist. His short story, “Supertoys Last All Summer Long,” published in 1969, was the basis for 2001’s Kubrick/Spielberg film A.I. Artificial Intelligence.

Image: Brian Aldiss at Worldcon 2005 in Glasgow, August 2005. Picture taken by Szymon Sokół.

authors who died in 2017 Amy Krouse RosenthalAmy Krouse Rosenthal, 51
authors who died in 2017 ordinary lifeBorn: April 29, 1965, Chicago, IL
Died: March 13, 2017, Chicago, IL

“It often feels like I’m not so much living for the present as I am busy making memories for the future.” ― The Book of Eleven

The author of more than 30 children’s books, including several that were New York Times best sellers, Amy Krouse Rosenthal also authored Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life, a memoir fashioned in the style of an encyclopedia. In addition to that, Rosenthal made short films, worked with WBEZ (NPR Chicago), and was a contributor to the TEDActive conference. She also published essays, including “You May Want to Marry My Husband” in the New York Times 10 days before her untimely death from ovarian cancer.

Image sourced from Amy Krouse Rosenthal’s YouTube page.

authors who died in 2017 Richard WlburRichard Wilbur, 96
authors who died in 2017 Beautiful ChangesBorn: March 1, 1921, New York City, NY
Died: October 14, 2017, Belmont, MA

“Writing poetry is talking to oneself; yet it is a mode of talking to oneself in which the self disappears; and the product’s something that, though it may not be for everybody, is about everybody.”

A two-time Pulitzer Prize winner (for poetry in 1957 and 1989), Richard Purdy Wilbur was appointed as the second United States Poet Laureate in 1987 and was awarded the National Medal of Arts by President Bill Clinton in 1994, among a long list of awards and achievements. 1947’s The Beautiful Changes, and Other Poems was his first published collection of his poetry, and he published 10 other books of poetry, the last being Anterooms in 2010.

Image sourced from the cover of Let Us Watch by Robert and Mary Bagg

authors who died in 2017 Sue GraftonSue Grafton, 77
authors who died in 2017 A is For AlibiBorn: April 24, 1940, Louisville, KY
Died: December 28, 2017, Santa Barbara, CA

“Thinking is hard work, which is why you don’t see many people doing it.”

Sue Grafton, best known for her “alphabet mysteries,” died one letter short of completing the book series. The first of the series, A Is For Alibi was published in 1982; the latest, Y Is For Yesterday, was published August 2017, and continued the quest of the series’ female protagonist, private investigator Kinsey Millhone. Grafton got her start in Hollywood, writing screenplays and television scripts. According to her husband, Grafton knew (for years) that the final book in the series would be titled Z Is For Zero, but her battle with cancer prevented her from beginning it.

Image by Mark Coggins from San Francisco (Sue Grafton Uploaded by tripsspace) [CC BY 2.0], via Wikimedia Commons

Read “Musicians who died in 2017” on the Disc Makers Blog.

BookBaby Book Marketing and Promotion

News From The Publishing World, January 2018
Check Out The Latest BookBaby How To Videos
How To Format Your Book Using Microsoft Word on a Mac
New How-To Videos: Printed Book Pagination and eBook Conversion Tips
Whatever Your Story, BookBaby’s Book Editing Service Is The Right Fit
Your ISBN: Answers To Frequently Asked Questions

Andre Calilhanna

About Andre Calilhanna

Andre Calilhanna has written 26 posts in this blog.

Andre Calilhanna is the editor and manager of the BookBaby blog. He's a musician, songwriter, writer, marketer, massage therapist, husband, dad, and soon to be author.

32 thoughts on “Voices Silenced: 12 Authors Who Died in 2017

1. Naida West says:

You missed Ursula K. La Gwin

1. She died at the end of January, 2018.

2. Richard Wilbur was also an accomplished translator of Moliere’s plays. As a stage director, I found his translations to be infinitely more playable than the average translation, because he wasn’t just translating the words, but the essence of the poetry. Claire Hart-Palumbo

3. Gail Fleenor says:

What about Susan Vreeland?

4. Wanda Maynard says:

Sue Grafton was one of my favorite authors. I loved her mysteries! All of them will be missed.

5. Mary Ellen Gavin says:

As a writer and promoter of writers, I loved Sue Grafton. Got to meet her at a world famous writers conference where she warned us about so many in Hollywood who would steal our work and break our hearts. Sue was tough. I suspected she got that way from her own experiences. What a shame that those who work in the ARTS are often taken advantage of by those who work for commercial enterprises.

6. Martha Knox says:

Ed Bain . Ghost writer. Murder She Wrote. It’s not only ‘literary’ writers but many who told a good story too.

1. Linetta Morris says:

His name was Donald Bain.

7. Judith Jones changed the world by getting Diary of Anne Frank published. I am ever-grateful to Anne for putting pen to paper and for Judith for making it a book published in English so I could read it and reread it…

8. Jean says:

One middle aged person seen here.Too soon death takes it’s toll. I am sure they contributed much good to the world.

9. Deborah Skye says:

It’s wondeful to honor the lives of these amazing people.

Seeing this list inspires me to read some of these authors books that I’ve not yet heard of.

Thank you!

1. Here is to the many faceless authors, who wrote great unpublished works, whose voices were silenced by fortune and time.

10. Kentry Jn Pierre says:

Sir Derek Alton Walcott, KCSL, OBE, OCC, a Saint Lucian poet and playwright who received the 1992 Nobel Prize in Literature, died 17 March 2017.

11. Who can fill another’s shoes? Deeply missed, all of you wonderful folk, R.I.P.

12. Amy Krouse Rosenthal will always play a big role in our home and our loves. Her books will alway have a place on our shelves and never fail to make us smile. Her spirit, creativity and passion are inspiring. She left us way too soon, and I can’t stop the tears every time I see her name.

13. Steve Raap says:

I would have loved to have dined with all of these authors. What a marvelous mix of voices, now silenced.

14. Michelle Wohlgemuth says:

The dark spot of entertainment and joy have gone out with these bright lights, they are missed.

15. Tom Lee says:

They will no doubt continue to honor the written word and other media in the afterlife. Bless them all.

16. Publishing and how to submit a book is so much a mystery to me. I am 78years of age!
    I have two children’s books which I would like to add my drawings to, and a fiction book on a sailing adventure. Where to begin????

1. There is an organization called the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators. Some local colleges have Continuing Educations courses in fiction writing and a number of professional organizations have chapters you can join. Are you a professional illustrator? If you aren’t and if your name isn’t known, a publisher will choose a well-known illustrator to pair an unknown author with.
      Ask employees at your local library for information. Many times they can help with local writing groups, books and other resources.

There are two sides to the publishing industry: the business and the creative. The publisher who takes a chance on a new author is taking a gamble they will at the very least, get their investment back.
      You must be able to market your work (or pay to have someone do it for you) besides creating your stories.
      There are many resources for writers on the internet on how to write in the standard format, submission requirements which vary from publisher to publisher so you must check their guidelines and follow them.

Your age should not be a deterrent if you want to learn the craft of writing. There are a number of older people who are writing, submitting their work to publishers or learning how to publish their work themselves.

I hope you find something helpful in my suggestions. I’ve been learning the craft of writing since 1989 and have had various things published. You can do it!
      I wish you the best!

17. Fascinating author lives – some writers new to me

18. I know I’m getting older when I read the obits first.
    Ahhhh

19. Ty Mason says:

Also, there was Howard Frank Mosher from Irasburg, Vermont. He wrote the book “A Stranger in the Kingdom” which became a movie. Also, he wrote the book that became the movie, “Where the Rivers Flow North” and the one that became the movie “Disappearances,” starring Kris Kristoffersen. Howard passed away last year about this time at the age of 70.

20. Lovely tribute to some fine authors. Thank you!

21. Susan Tuttle says:

Missed Jeff Carlson, who died at 46… the Plague Year series is fantastic, as are all his works. Died too soon, with so many wonderful sic-fi stories untold.

Also Anna Unkovich, author of three “Chicken Soup for the Soul” books for education… an amazing writer and one of the first women coaches for male sports.

And Paul Alan Fahey, one of the best writers (his WWII gay romance series is incredible) and most wonderful people I’ve ever met… He produced amazing work and always had time to mentor others. How many others who are not world-renowned (but should be) have we lost this past year?

22. Odd to reflect on writers leaving us, because they remain with us/with me forever. Richard Adams is indelibly in my soul because it’s “The Girl in the Swing” the scariest book I’ve ever read. I remember calling my husband to come home in the middle of the afternoon, because I could not be alone to read more, it was so terrifying. (And I never read “Watership Down” for which he was famous)
    Also thankful for Mr. Bond creating Paddington Bear for my daughter, and now her son.
    Sincerely,
    Jo Nelsen

23. Anne Stewart says:

This blog has been informative and inspiring. My hope is one day to have my works so honoured; however, I’ve yet to publish even one. . .

24. Irene Notaro says:

Into the realm of the star gods they went…

25. I met Sue Grafton several times. She was a great writer and a real lady. Her work stands as an inspiration to all writers. It’s too bad she couldn’t finish her series, but it still stands as one of the best, even if the alphabet ended at Y.
    She’ll be missed.
    Michael A. Black

26. Marilyn Kortemeier says:

I know what you want my to say, but I can’t say it. I read “The Plague Dogs, ” I didn’t really care for it. But I can tell you I don’t believe these people are really gone for good. I know my church doesn’t agree. But I believe we are going to hear their voices again. I believe in reincarnation. So I think those voices will be back again in about 50 years. The names will be different. the bodies will be much younger, and only the youngest of us not may still be alive to remember, but I believe it will happen.

27. Eleanor Gamarsh says:

I appreciate this presentation. I enjoyed finding out where some movies originated and my husband will too. He’s an avid movie fan who never tires of watching any movie many times that he’s enjoyed. While reading about some authors i was reminded of books I’d enjoyed reading and would like to read more of their work.