Think you can’t write – or finish – that book that’s inside of you? Here’s how to stop the self-intimidation and finish your first book.

If you don’t think you’re capable of writing a book, you’re in good company. A lot of authors feel this way; I know I do. Even after publishing three well-received business books, with a fourth on the way, I still don’t feel capable of “writing a book,” at least not if I let myself think about it as a single, fearsome entity.

I’d suggest, in fact, that there’s little that’s more crippling to a writer than to set out in the morning with the daunting goal of “writing a book” and that there are very few authors who are capable of doing such a thing when you put it in those terms. Instead, we keep our eyes on the work, and keep the self-intimidation level low, by writing sentences, paragraphs, and chapters. Then, one day, we have something that resembles a complete and bona fide book. It’s rough, practical magic, but it works.

I’m not trying to understate the importance of properly putting a book together. All of those paragraphs, pages, and chapters that you work on piece by piece? They can’t just be put together haphazardly. The actual book does need to be an actual book, not a collection of chapters. For more on this, I refer you to “Structure,” a striking essay from The New Yorker on how to bring structure to your nonfiction, written by John McPhee, one of the greatest nonfiction writers of our time. There’s also Good Prose, a fabulous full-length book on the subject by nonfiction great Tracy Kidder and his longtime editor, Richard Todd.

There are many authors, of course, who don’t follow the piecemeal pattern I’ve just laid out. These authors, it could be argued, come closer to organically writing a complete book than do those who write the way I do. I’m talking about J.K. Rowling, perfectly mapping out, in the span of a single train ride, the plot strands that would take her characters through the course of multiple novels. And there’s the novelist Ann Patchett, who conceptualizes her works entirely before she types a single stroke on the keyboard.

Yet even such writers, who come up with an impressively complete concept early on, aren’t creating their books so entirely all-at-once as it sounds. They may get down the grand scheme of things all at once, but there are still the sentences and paragraphs to write, the dialog that needs to sound convincing, the adjectives and verbs and adverbs and nouns to pick and re-pick and cross out and re-pick again. Finishing the concept doesn’t mean finishing a book; far from it. As Patchett puts it, you still have to “make all the trees and all the leaves and then sew the leaves onto the trees.”

In fact, if you look at a dramatic story like Ms. Rowling’s more closely, it looks grittier and more piecemeal than it might at first blush.

Here’s the part of Rowling’s story that’s the stuff of legend:

“I simply sat and thought, for four (delayed train) hours, while all the details bubbled up in my brain, and this scrawny, black-haired, bespectacled boy who didn’t know he was a wizard became more and more real to me.”

And here’s the less sexy part of Potter’s origins, the part people overlook. Although Rowling “began to write Philosopher’s Stone that very evening,” she concedes “those first few pages bear no resemblance to anything in the finished book.”

So what I’d encourage you to do today is to give yourself a break on this whole first book thing and spend your energy getting to work. Even if you don’t feel capable of writing a book, it is possible to write a sentence. A paragraph. To pick out an adjective, to tweak that outline. And keep moving, moving, moving ‘til you have something that resembles, at last, a book. Written, somewhat to your own immense surprise, by you.

There’s a broader point here, if you don’t mind me moving past writing as writing and on to writing as a metaphor. The people who are successful – not only at writing books but at starting companies, building organizations, mentoring hard-to-reach students, and other daunting tasks – are the ones who don’t psych themselves out by thinking they have to get it all done at once. Instead, they get these projects started, and trust that they’ll find a way to finish them as they ride the momentum they generate along the way.

Image by Divin Serhiy via ShutterStock.com.

The End

You’ve Finished Your Manuscript – But Your Book’s Not Ready For Publishing
Finishing Your Novel: How To Know When You’re Done Writing Your Book
Radically Improve Your Writing: Three Books That Will Help You Do It
The First Word
Completing A Novel: A Look At Various Writing Methods

Micah Solomon

About Micah Solomon

Micah Solomon has written 5 posts in this blog.

Micah Solomon is the author of three business bestsellers as well as over 600 articles on customer service, the customer experience, and company culture for Forbes.com, Inc.com and other outlets, as well as being a world-renowned keynote speaker and consultant on customer service.

22 thoughts on “A Proven Method For Starting – And Finishing – Your First Book

1. Gilbert Elam says:

Micah-
    Thanks for the well thought out blog. As an aspiring writer it has never occurred to me to look at the several successful small businesses I’ve started over the years as an analogy for starting my book. I constantly worry about having a complete manuscript ready in my head before I ever set a word down on paper, but I never let that same fear stop me from making my businesses a success!

1. Micah Solomon says:

Thanks, Gilbert. I am happy that this analogy speaks to you. Best of luck and thanks again.

2. Greta says:

Hey, where’s the like button? Thank you for writing this blog. I’m stuck at 59,000 words for a 70,000 word novel and am wondering if I can bring a satisfying conclusion to my work so I can get to the editing part.

1. Micah Solomon says:

Thanks, Greta! I’ll consider this comment your virtual like button. Best of luck with your novel. Does it absolutely definitely have to be 70,000 words?

3. Debbie wheeland says:

That you Micah for the great words of wisdom. You continue to inspire me thanks again.

1. Micah Solomon says:

Thank you, Debbie! I am sorry I didn’t see this before now. I appreciate your kind words. Stay inspired!

2. Micah Solomon says:

Thank you, Debbie! Keep up the great work.

4. Joan Amato says:

Dear Micah:
    Let me say first I love your name. You discuss writing a book, a novel, fiction or non-fiction, what about writing a poetry book? I’ve finally started the toddling stage and began to try to get together the poems I would like to include in a book. My colleagues have been nudging me to do this for the past two to three years. Can you comment what that is like, to collect various poems, over the years, and begin to cataloguing them for publication? Not all writers want to write that novel. I just want to assemble a book of poetry and need a great deal of insight.

1. Micah Solomon says:

Poetry is a rather different beast and while I have studied with some incredible ones, I am not expert on the issues you raise.

5. Margaret says:

Micah, thank you for the much needed guidance and pep talk. I’m going to use your advice on my current novel. It’s remarkable how practical ideas need repeating and how it helps that someone new does the deed. Just to know once again that your stress and daunting feeling is not unique and that solutions are possible is a good “kick in the pants” to moving forward. In my case, I’ll be working on an outline, perhaps not successfully presented as an English teacher would prefer, but one that will work for me in order to see a black and white goal on paper. Thanks for sending me on my way with your words.

1. Micah Solomon says:

Dear Margaret, I am delighted that you found this helpful. Best of luck with your outline and with your novel.

6. Gillian Champion says:

How very true! I find that even if you are feeling completely stuck or just plain don’t feel like writing, and then you think “I’ll just finish that little bit there, or add a couple of sentences there….” you will find that a few hours later that you’re off again, with new enthusiasm and a lot of new ideas. It always seems to work!

1. Micah Solomon says:

That is very well put, Gillian. Thank you for the comment.

7. Gina Johnson says:

Great advice. Thank you.

1. Micah Solomon says:

Thank you Gina. Best wishes for you and for your writing.

8. Gerald Veasley says:

Thanks, Micah. Just what I needed today.

1. Micah Solomon says:

Thank you, Gerald! Happy to improve your day. Thanks so much for letting me know.

9. Penny Haavig says:

Thanks for the encouraging words for aspiring authors. My first novel is complete in a sense. I’m on my final edit after hiring two pro-editors. I know it has to be “right”, before I publish. When does the editing stop and you just go with it?

10. Peggy Adams says:

Thank you for your well thought out advice. I began writing by doing paragraphs and then progressed to essays and now into short stories and am surprised that many of my shorts-started out as a paragraph or a essay—was fun in developing the stories. In 2016 had one of my short stories published—surprised and encouraging. I am pleased to find a blog about the piece-meal way to a story or novel. Thank you for expounding on my way of writing–I don’t feel so alone or less intelligent in my approach to writing. “Just keep ’em coming!” Regards