If you want your printed book to look professional, be sure to avoid these common manuscript mistakes:
1. Fonts aren’t embedded. By far, missing fonts is the most common reason print projects get delayed. Please remember to embed your fonts in your PDF file.
2. Page numbers are all on the same side of the page. Remember, even page numbers on left-side pages should be on the left side of the page, and odd page numbers on the right-side pages should be on the right side of the page. (Of course, you won’t have to worry about this if you center your page numbers.)
3. Image resolution is too low or supplied in RGB instead of CMYK. Don’t forget: images must be at 300 DPI and color must be converted to CMYk.
4. Insufficient bleed or safety margins. Remember to setup your margins after you setup your page size.
5. Failure to include the spine in the cover file. Every book needs a spine!
Have you made any of these manuscript file preparation mistakes? How did you remedy it? Let us know in the comments below.
[Oops picture from Shutterstock.]