Are you uncertain about the difference between a fixed layout eBook and a standard (“flowable”) eBook?
There are the two types of eBook formatting: Standard eBooks and Fixed Layout eBooks.
- Standard eBooks (ePub and .mobi) feature a dynamic (“flowable”) layout for text and images. This means that your eBook will look different when viewed on different eReaders.
- Fixed Layout eBooks quite literally “affix“ images and text to exact spots on each electronic page – just like their printed book counterparts — so that they look the same, regardless of which reader you use.
Watch this comprehensive video:
Does your eBook need a Fixed Layout?
Most eBooks do not require a Fixed Layout file and are only needed when it’s important that the images and text appear in a specific and consistent way.
These books are usually good candidates:
- Illustrated children’s books
- Coffee table books
- Graphic novels
- Textbooks and technical manuals
- …and any book that relies on a heavily-designed, static presentation, full-page images, or text that overlaps with images.
For further explanation, read this “eBooks 101” article.
Do you have a book that relies heavily on graphics, design, and layout? BookBaby can help. We offer affordable eBook conversion services.
Not sure what eBook format is for you? Call one of our knowledgeable Publishing Specialists to discuss your project. Call us toll free at 877-961-6878 Monday thru Friday (9am-6pm ET).