[SPOILER ALERT: 8.5 x 11″ in portrait!!!].

I’m not a particularly technical person. When I’m involved in a discussion about the ins-and-outs of eBook formatting and conversion my eyes tend to gloss over and the other person’ voice starts to sound muffled and monotone, like the teacher from Peanuts.

So when I first asked an eBook conversion expert what page size I should make my manuscript document before conversion, I was happy to hear a very non-technical answer: “Uhhh, well,… it kinda doesn’t matter!”

You see, there is no fixed pagination with eBooks. The reader gets to customize their font, font size, and spacing preferences– so a book that is 200 pages in print could be 300, 400, 500, even 1000 “pages” on a Nook, Kindle, iPad, or other reader. ePUB files (the standard eBook format) are designed to make the text “flow” in this manner across multiple devices.

If text flows then there can be no fixed layout; if there’s no fixed layout then your manuscript file’s page size really doesn’t matter. After the ePUB conversion process, the text that was gently scooped up from your manuscript file will be displayed (in the correct order, of course!) according to user settings and preferences.

All that being said, if you’re writing your book in Word, we recommend just leaving the page size set to standard (8.5 x 11 inches) in portrait (as opposed to landscape).

Standard 8.5 x 11″ page size ensures that any included images will be at least large enough for the iPad. If you were to send us a document that you’d formatted to mimic a common eReader screen size (like 4 x 6, 5 x 7, or 5.5 x 8.5), most of your images will be too small for larger eReader/tablet devices.

Plus, you’ll be able to use that same 8.5 x 11″ Word file to print manuscripts on standard computer paper, and you’ll be able to convert it to an easily-printable PDF for any readers who prefer that format.

Let BookBaby handle your eBook conversion so you can worry about more important things, like writing and promoting!

Chris Robley

About Chris Robley

Chris Robley has written 602 posts in this blog.

is an award-winning poet, songwriter, performer, and music producer who now lives in Portland, Maine after more than a decade in Portland, Oregon. His music has been praised by NPR, the LA Times, the Boston Globe, and others. Skyscraper Magazine said he is “one of the best short-story musicians to come along in quite some time.” Robley’s poetry has been published or is forthcoming in POETRY, Prairie Schooner, Poetry Northwest, Beloit Poetry Journal, RHINO, Magma Poetry, and more. He is the 2013 winner of Boulevard's Poetry Prize for Emerging Writers and the 2014 recipient of a Maine Literary Award in the category of "Short Works Poetry."

14 thoughts on “eBook Formatting: What Page Size Should I Use?

1. Frank says:

Short and sweet, to the point and informative. Thanks for the post. I like the spoiler alert.

1. Chris Robley Chris Robley says:

Ha. Well, it’s tough to make something about eBook formatting very suspenseful, so might as well just come out with it! Thanks for reading.

@ChrisRobley

2. Tony Damian says:

Wheeew~ thank you Chris! I have been working on my manuscript for over 10 years compiling notes, research and such.
    I am finally at the point of publishing my book and could not for the life of me find any info on what is probably the 1st thing to know.. the bloody page size. yikes.. hehe So it appears that there is no template… that is a relief. Thank you so much. TonyD

3. Heidi Lebmeier says:

I was happy to see that reply too. But what about pictures? I’m adding pictures onto my A4 size paper before saving it to pdf. How will that appear on various electronic devices?
    I hope you can help with that too.
    Thanks a mill.

1. A.M. says:

I use images in some of my ebooks and for me, aspect ratio and resolution are very important. Using the wrong aspect ratio will warp the images and a too-low resolution can compromise the quality. If you’re going to have a fixed layout, size does matter. You may find the following useful:

“In the Amazon Kindle Publishing Guidelines Amazon recommend producing files that are double the size of the Kindle Fire screen to support 2x zoom. So based on the dimensions of the latest Kindle Fire HDX 8.9″ tablet this would make your ideal page pixel dimensions 5120 x 3200 (full page portrait), or 3200 x 5120 (full page landscape) or 3200 x 2560 (each page of a double page spread).

The latest version of Apple’s iBooks Asset Guide recommends that content is produced at at least 1.5 times the screen size, which for the latest iPad Air would make the ideal page pixel dimensions at least 3072 x 2304 (full page portrait), or 2304 x 3072 (full page landscape) or 2304 x 1536 (each page of a double page spread).”

Source: http://www.ebookpartnership.com/services/ebook-conversion/fixed-layout/preparing-files-fixed-layout-ebook-conversion/

4. Kathryn says:

Thanks, that was a clear straightforward explanation.

5. Carole says:

Thanks, Chris! Simple, to the point, bottom-line info. Well done.

6. Tamara Andrews says:

I’m trying to format a non-fiction book with images on most pages and found when previewing in KDP/Amazon the formatting was all over the place because a Kindle page is smaller than A4. I was looking for an answer as to the best size to format my document so I have the best chance of my book no looking unprofessional – I needed a minimum size for it to flow properly. The information on this page, unfortunately, didn’t help me in the slightest.

7. Bill says:

thanks for that

8. Don Morgan says:

Hi Chris,

This is the first time I have seen the size that an eBook should be typed in anywhere.
    Lacking this information I have formatted my new first E Book to A5 size that seems to confirm to, for example, a kindle.
    Working to an average of 300 words per page I Therefore type in 12 point. My question is that if, as you recommend, working to standard 11 x 8 normal size, what size should I now type in. The same question applies to pages such as dedications, contents, etc.

I am very confused.
    I hope you can advise
    Sincerely
    Don Morgan

9. Kaye says:

I wish to publish on kindle s book that has a quotation on a single page, followed by flowing text afterwards.

Can I use some html style sheets to force this look and feel?

10. Mozie says:

This is very helpful, I’m looking to start putting my content together in an ebook and been researching how to properly format it. Going to downloads your templates now too. Thanks for that!

Mozie